Monday, June 15, 2015
Up first is 2 figures from Soda Pop Miniatures. I had picked these up years ago at Gen Con when they were metal. I have to say that the assembly for these were terrible. The arms did not want to sit properly in the sockets and I did a lot of filling with glue. I primed them black then airbrushed them with Minitaire Gun Alloy. I was pleasantly surprised how nice that looked. Some black wash to pick out detail, then blue wash on shoulders and knees. Finally an orange wash on the visor - call it done.
I also threw some paint on a Reaper Bones Flesh Golem. Nothing special.
Just good enough to call him done.
So my record for the year is 17 - 6. That is 17 bought to 6 painted. My goal is to blow this out of the water with more painted than purchased this year. I have a ton of Bones from the 1st KS and I am tempted by what I have seen for Bones 3, probably burning all my Jokers there. After those I have plenty of Malifaux that need some love. That doesn't include the minis that I want to try and paint for display. I think I will mostly be tackling tabletop / tabletop + in this round. No matter what, every step is progress!
Monday, December 8, 2014
Over the weekend I went to Knoxville TN with Dave to a Pathfinder event for charity. We were not there for the game, we were there for the painting classes run by the awesome Rhonda Bender. Alot of the class was for true beginners who had never painted before, but I enjoyed going over the basics again. You have to have a strong foundation to build upon.
The class I got the most out of was on skin tones. We were given a choice of some Reaper Bones mini to practice on so I chose the Clay Golem. It was a little rough at first and when we added purple to the shadows I was thinking I was about to ruin this figure. But you can tell me if it worked.
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Dave working on some Sedition Wars figures. Even though there was a Magic tourny going on we could barely tell and Dave and I enjoyed a few hours chatting and painting together. I opted to work on some of my Malifaux figures and chose my Ten Thunder Archers,
All in all a decent progress for a few hours while trying to start a weekly paint club. The holidays coming up will put a hiccup in the routine, but hopefully we can get some more people involved.
Stay tuned for more!
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Anyway, right before this bomb dropped my awesome wife got me my Christmas present and told me I could have it early!
That is my new Badger Krome Airbrush! I was doing a little kid happy dance when I got it. I have used it once and I love how it feels in my hand. The double action is really nice and smooth and it has a needle limiter so you can set your paint flow to be consistent every spray. I still have a lot to learn about using it beyond basic priming and basecoating, but I will get there. Here are 8 Strain models that I primed and basecoated with the airbrush then I finished them off with the brush.
I tried several different color washes as you can tell before picking out some details. I am not super happy with them, but these are ok for a board game. Just need to finish up a bit on the bases and paint in the rim with black. This will put me up to 12 minis done for the #6MMRC. Hopefully I will get some more done this week/weekend.
Sunday, October 26, 2014
Sunday, October 19, 2014
1. I like the double action airbrushes for the way you can control the paint flow.
2. A water trap is a necessity, not an option.
3. I do not like the Harbour Freight Airbrush. This is more about how it feels in my hand than anything. I have larger hands and the airbrush was uncomfortable.
So I inherited my dad's modelling supplies when he passed away, which included two Paasche Model H airbrushes. They are single action, bottom feed airbrushes. I know they are not the "best" for our line of modelling, but for priming and base coating it will do just fine. I had ordered a Badger brand airhose with an inline water trap and the adapter to fit the Paasche brush to the airhose. There will be more airbrushing this coming week!
What I did manage to finish were 2 miniatures, 1 for Malifaux and a very basic repaint of a Heroscape figure for a client. Here we have the Lone Marshall for the Guild. In the fluff he is a Death Marshall that has managed to absorb the taint of the evil magic he fights instead of being corrupted by it like most are. I went the "Death rides a Pale Horse" theme for him. He is mounted on a Dark Ages base insert.
I feel I did an ok job for the first time ever painting a horse. Not very realistic, but neither is Malifaux....
Here are the before and after shots of the Heroscape figure repaint. The colors were chosen by the client based on a community approved custom figure.